Monday, February 25, 2013

Housewarming Party

On Saturday, we hosted our first party! 

We invited a grouping of so many wonderful people we've met since moving out to Shanghai. We've made friends through a variety of different venues: some we'd reconnected with since we moved here, some we met through friends of friends, through work and at other events or parties hosted by friends. Our friends were so generous in joining us on their Saturday night and we just had a wonderful time! Everyone we've met has been so kind in helping us connect with good people and have been generous in sharing their own connections and we feel very lucky to get the chance to know so many amazing people.

First, we started out with snacks & drinks at our place, where Matt tended bar. (and again our friends were so generous in donating to our wine collection!) Then we headed to a little actual bar spot around the corner called Senator Saloon. It was great! David, the manager, had set aside some tables for our group and the cocktails were delicious!

Unfortunately, Matt & I spent most of Sunday recovering...

No pics, unfortunately, but the prepping was some of the funniest part. We returned to Carrefour, but a different one, and this one was much less chaotic and a pleasant experience. While the offerings were more "diverse" than a typical US grocery store, they had a huge international section, which included a whole wall of American breakfast cereals, granola bars, etc.  I also made my first couple trips to the "Avocado Lady" I mentioned her in an earlier post and now I understand the draw for expats. She has all sorts of spices, nuts, cheeses that you can't find in other areas and for reasonable prices! I also learned during the party prep phase that you should plan to go to at least 3 stores to find everything you need for 1 recipe. I was trying to keep the menu simple but even still, there's just no one place that has it all! That's definitely something I'll need to get used to. 

Oh, also we can't figure out how to work our oven. So all dishes were stove or microwave prepared... even funnier! :) 

The menu:
- Bourbon Chicken (aka Food court Chinese food that includes no actual bourbon)
 (http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/201809/Bourbon-Street-Chicken)
- Broccoli Pasta
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-grape-pasta-salad-50400000115388/)
- Avocado Feta Salsa
 (http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/354791-Avocado-Feta-Salsa)
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
http://www.yourcupofcake.com/2011/02/white-chocolate-cinnamon-pretzels.html
- Cheese/Crackers
- Veggies

No comments:

Post a Comment