Good news: I passed my Chinese Health Check! I am in great health! They give you back a binder full of different stats. I do have something
called “sinus bradycardia,” (details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinus_bradycardia ) which on my 2nd day here Matt bragged
about having saying that it’s really only something diagnosed in professional
athletes who are in peak physical condition. Needless to say, it stung a little
for him when we officially established we are BOTH high-performance athletes.
;)
Now, we officially applied for our residence permit. The residency permit office is in Pudong (which is on the
opposite side of the river from us, where we live in Puxi), so we planned a fun
evening with some gracious hosts. After the rather painless trip to the
immigration office, we headed to under the Science & Technology Museum
metro stop on the hunt for the “good bargains”. I was surprised with how empty
this underground market was, especially for a Friday afternoon. It must get
crowded over the weekend because there was definitely plenty to see and buy. I
purchased 3 purses, for what I consider to be a great deal! (Less than half the
starting price and easily less than the value I’ll get out of all 3 bags (totaling
about $75 for all 3). Part of the fun, was just the entertaining experience of
negotiating and getting the “best friend price.” Hehe.
Then we were off to dinner with our gracious hosts in
Shanghai. The Choys are a couple, where the husband also works at BCG and was
incredibly helpful in providing advice prior to our move and his wife is an ER
doctor working here in Shanghai. They have two adorable twin girls, and were so
kind to have us over to their apartment for a home cooked meal. Delicious!!
Chicken, mashed potatoes & salad were a true treat to these foreigners, not
to mention the fabulous wine and conversation. Plus, the view overlooking the
Bund from every room in their apartment, was stunning! We had a great evening
in Pudong.
After dinner, we headed back to the Puxi side to grab some
more cocktails and check out different spots near our neighborhood. We went to
Constellation 2, a nearby Whiskey Bar, which was music to Matt’s ears. We
popped in here for one drink then headed to just a block from our apartment, to
a wine bar called Enoterra. Enoterra is an adorable wine bar, which per a
review, I told Matt only serves wine by the bottle. We ordered a nice Cab, so of
course needed some snacks to go with it. Nachos!! :) Not quite, US Tex Mex nachos,
but tasty and satisfying none the less. After the nachos arrived, Matt spotted
the menu for wine by the glass… he was on to my ruse. Shoot!
Quick note on one thing, that so far has been the most
difficult adjustment; the smoking. Everyone knows that I am not a smoker, have
never been a smoker, don’t enjoy being around smoking, etc. But in all the bars
here in Shanghai, everyone smokes. Even the “non-smoking” sections are filled
with smoke as they are frequently adjacent to the smoking sections without any
divider. So far, this has been a less than pleasant part of the experience. As
for now, I’ve had to segment my wardrobe into smoking and non-smoking pieces so
that it doesn’t permeate into all my clothes and I make Matt & I shower
after coming home before hopping into bed. I’ve been told that there actually
is a law banning smoking inside, but it’s not enforced. I may be the 1 out of
2.2M people that wants that law to be enforced. (But I’d be ok with them
relaxing the internet restrictions. Hehe.)
Sorry for delays in posting! Internet hasn't been cooperating here for us recently.
When one shop owner left his shop unattended, Matt took over "You want bag? You want bag?"
Surprisingly, no takers.
My new treats (Marc, Jimmy, Longchamp?)
Stunning view from the Choy's apartment. View from Pudong looking across the river at Puxi.
Happy couple out & about! (Post lots of wine)
Constellation 2 = Whiskey Bar = Matt in Heaven
Whiskey + Shady Lady cocktail (aka. Ecto Cooler Hi-C)
Enoterra - classy wine bar.
Wine & Nachos!
One happy lady. :)
Looks like Cheese on those nachos;)
ReplyDelete