Friday, February 1, 2013

Blisters were Worth It



First, let me start out by saying, today, I got lost in Shanghai… and it was wonderful.

I set out with the help of my Frommer’s guidebook in search of some local retail therapy. I set my route to head out to about 10 different shops in the French Concession. My path was a bit winding but I was hoping that I would find some additional spots to check out along the way. I first stopped at a little café to grab a cup of coffee to fuel up. Boy, did this turn out to be a good idea!

My first stop was “Skylight” described as carrying a “variety of Tibetan trinkets.” I got lost on my way. It was a pretty straightforward shot from our apartment but my veering off course to hop into another shop I spotted down a different street that lead me to a different shop down a 3rd alley, put me entirely off course and I just decided to go with it.

I kept using this approach until I felt like I was nearing the outskirts of what I was looking for; then I’d pop open my guidebook again and set my bearings for the closest (or what I thought would be the closest) shop. In the end I successfully made it to the addresses of all 10 shops, but only found about 4. Turns out things change quickly here. I’m going to guess some have moved and some have closed down.

For example, the other day an online review had mentioned a “hole in the wall, take out Mexican” place = music to my ears!!! J I traveled to and searched said alleyway about 3 times, awkwardly peeking into windows for about 15 minutes before I gave up. Then today, on my way home, I looked up to the left and found the glorious, green neon sign of “El Gato Verde”  What a pleasant surprise! I was late so didn’t get to partake but I’ll be going back!

Anyways, today was filled with pleasant surprises, enjoyable sights and some much needed window shopping. I haven’t pulled the trigger on any purchases yet, as still just trying to get the lay of the land

… now if I could only retrace my steps to all of the above!

Oh, and the dryer works! I did a little celebratory dance when I got home. :)

I'm not completely sure of my path, but I imagine it was something close to this:

unassuming alleyway, turns into glorious courtyard

Nie Er statue (national anthem composer) plus solo Tai Chi

 Bicycle rentals... not quite brave enough yet...




Mahjong in the park. Men only?

Shanghai Library (massive!)


My personal mecca

 Simple little wall becomes adorable cafe and champagne bar. Will be coming back!













1 comment:

  1. Such a great exploration!!!! Can't wait to see what you do decide to buy when the time comes. Also... YAY TO FINDING MEXICAN!!

    ReplyDelete