Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Antiquing"


Spent Friday afternoon at the Dongtai Rd “Antique” Market. The reason I use the “_” is because all reviews online lead you to believe nothing here is actually a genuine antique. Fine by me! as long as the price is right. This three alley area was FILLED with all sorts of little goodies. Many things I didn’t want or need, many things I had no idea even existed, but also so many fun trinkets to take home!

I was shopping for vases and found two gems that I really fell in love with as soon as I saw them. I walked into one of the little stalls and of course as soon as you lock your eye on something some adorable old man or lady is up on you, calculator in hand, tallying the price. HERE is where you bargain. For my two vases she started at 1200 RMB; I countered with 200RMB; we netted out at 380 RMB (~$61). Of course this was after quite a few calculator iterations in between (we do NOT speak the same language / our only common language is numbers); me threatening to walk out; the tiny, but SOLID, little woman shop owner blocking my path; some laughs & giggles; me providing my “FINAL offer”; her responding with “you must be Chinese” (ego-boosting will you get you everywhere with me little lady) and then 2 hugs. All in all a successful experience and purchase! Pics below.

Matt also managed to scrounge up three crosses. Her favorite being one made of “Ming dynasty coins” (we are positive they aren’t from the Ming dynasty and are pretty sure they aren't even coins). He also didn’t love the “cross” shape so he did some sewing to get it just the way he wanted. I sure hope it wasn’t an actual antique!!!!

Our friend Helayna, from J&J, also joined us. She didn’t pick anything up, but turns out she lives just 2 blocks away! I think we will all be back here. Maybe for some Mao statues? ;)

Dongtai Rd Antique Market - just a sampling. 

 Mao statues galore. You could also buy Mao's "little red book" in every language possible. 
 


 Close-up of my vases. (they look better in person. the black is really gold. REAL gold. ;) )

In our front entryway. I'm still thinking something a bit taller should go here, but this works for now!

Matt re-crafting his "antique" cross

No comments:

Post a Comment