The Sunday Funday idea is not lost on expats in China. Today
we had a great afternoon hanging out with the Burgermeisters, Greg &
Lindsey, for an afternoon brunch.
But first, our
morning started with the men coming to fix one of our heating units. This is
not normally something I would comment on as it sounds fairly mundane, but I
just had to share how different it is here… I’m expecting a guy, maybe 2, to
come in with a hammer & screwdriver and just make some turns and everything
is A. OK. (Perhaps even a replacement part.) Not so much. What really happens
is these 2 young men, quite kind & funny (I think, it was all in Mandarin,
but they were very jovial.) Come into our apartment, go into our bathroom (the
broken heater is in the bedroom, not the bathroom), wash out their tank in the
tub. Then the larger one ties a rope around his waist, then skinnier one ties
the other end of said rope around his waist and then heads out the bathroom
window to poor in more Freon. WHAT?!?! We are SIX stories up. I assure this is
not safe is the slightest. However, our heater is now fixed and our home is now
warm.
Then it’s off to meet up with the Burgermeisters! Greg &
I were put in touch through a couple mutual friends at J&J and Greg heads
up the J&J sales force for all of China Consumer. He and his wife have been
here a little over a year and were incredibly helpful via email about what to
expect and what to do to prepare before we arrived. They’ve also already gone
out a couple times with Matt before my arrival (during which I asked Matt to
try not to scare them away).
They suggested we head to the Westin for the unlimited
brunch & champagne buffet… but it was so much more… We walked into the Westin lobby to be taken
towards the most amazing brunch buffet sponsored by none other than my
favorite, Veuve Clicquot! The brunch was filled with stations of ever type of
food imaginable: American, Indian, Greek, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Shangainese.
The most popular of all was the Seafood extravaganza complete with King Crab
claws, Lobster tails, caviar, the works! I dabbled in pretty much everything
and they kept the Vueve constantly flowing. We were there for about 2.5 hours
and the Burgermeisters had so many funny stories to share as well as helpful
tips about survival in Shanghai. On top of all that was quite an array of entertainment! See
below for dancers, opera singers, acrobats, etc.
Finishing up the afternoon we went to the Burgermeister’s
apartment (GORGEOUS!!!) and then took my first Subway ride to get my cell phone
setup. The Subway is incredibly clean and easy to navigate with everything
being clearly labeled in English and all of the machines being automated in
English, etc. I think this will be easy to manage on my own but I’ve heard that
it’s insanely crowded during rush hours so try to avoid those times.
Anyways, now we are back home and thanks to the
Burgermeisters found some food delivery service (Sherpa.com ; think Seamless web)
and are about to setup our first Skype date with mom & dad.
Tomorrow, I’m flying solo!
| Safety First! |
Out the window!
WESTIN Brunch!
Too cool! Hotel brunches in fancy hotels are always a great treat when living abroad! xx love and miss you! Alex
ReplyDelete