Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lessons in Walking


Today I ventured out solo and just spent the entire morning / afternoon roaming the streets of the French Concession. I decided to start out with a destination and plan a route just to get my bearings. I set out toward the Media Markt to find a curling iron & hair dryer (as I was advised not to bring by own as they will quickly short out.)

Media Markt is a little over a mile from our home so I planned my route along some new streets to see what they might have to offer and boy did I find some goodies! Pics below but so many adorable clothing shops, restaurants, bars, coffee shops and just interesting people and buildings. So far I’ve refrained from taking pictures directly of individuals, as I don’t want to offend, but at one point there was a Grandfather and little girl sitting on stools outside a shop and he was teaching her how to crack peanuts and they were both just giggling like little school kids. It was too precious! I wish I had whipped out my iPhone! (I seriously need to upgrade my photography equipment) 

For now, you are predominantly getting pictures of buildings & street views.

Also, along my journey, I learned a couple things…

Lesson 1: If you are walking on the sidewalk but hear a scooter/car honking it’s worth taking a look behind you as it’s very possible that scooter/car will be on the sidewalk as well and you need to get out of the way.

Lesson 2: Always look both ways before exiting a store front and stepping out onto the sidewalk.

Lesson 3: The traffic lights do not necessarily reflect the traffic patterns and pedestrians do NOT necessarily have the right of way.

Lesson 4: Keep your eyes open. For both safety reasons, but also there is just so much to take in!

Happy Walking!

Typical little street lined with cafes & shops

This shop "four twenty two" so cute!

Bad news: Barbie store shut down. Yes, this whole store used to be Barbies.


Already found Matt a mounted head

I was worried I wouldn't find Media Markt because it wasn't on Google maps. Nope, found it.

View from my lunch at Media Markt

Locals waiting in line for some meats, but not sure why this was more popular than the rest...

Good news: H&M opens Feb 1

Little hotel offering afternoon tea

Sweet Park




One of the less crowded intersections

I wanted to buy everything in here. EVERYTHING.

Capped my afternoon off with some tea & cake at this beyond adorable cafe in my neighborhood and booted up my computer for some job hunting.




1 comment: