Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 2 = Success!

...on so many levels, but most importantly I already found cheese!!!! Yes, it was in a super expensive Western grocery store where the cheapest option is about $12 per brie wedge, but hey, that counts! and of course "we" (I mean I) bought some.

In other news, we bought TONS of apartment goodies at IKEA! Yes, IKEA China is just a magical as IKEA USA. I could live there. Apartment pics to follow. I did find it interesting that it really was exactly as it is in the US. All the merchandise is the same, but with Chinese labels (which are just as impossible to remove and annoying to build). Mom, they had cow-hide rugs there too! I was expecting this to be more catered to Chinese preferences, but I guess IKEA is sticking with what they know. I like it. :)

We also did some neighborhood exploring. We live in the Former French Concession area, which can be best described as tree-lined streets bordered by a mix of old Tudor style buildings and skyscraper apartment complexes. To go along with the mix of buildings, there is such a mix of sights!!! Examples: Families hanging their clothes out to dry next to the fish also hanging out to dry (sad we missed that photo op). Vendor stalls filled with fresh fruit/veggies or live crabs, right next to upscale furniture and clothing boutiques. We just stayed close to home today but looking forward to heading a little further south to visit the "hip & trendy bar & restaurant" area of our neighborhood. 


CHEESE!

Home, Sweet Home

Clothes drying... completely normal...

 Just one example of many adorable boutiques

Matt buying our fruit from a local vendor. Side note here... there was a stall about 3 doors down that's called the "Avocado Lady" and there was a long line of Western Expats there. We aren't totally sure what was the draw because this fruit looked better, but if we get sick shortly, we will be going back to the "Avocado Lady" instead

"Chicken" - I'm now understanding why Matt was having a hard time finding grilled chicken. I order "Chicken Noodle Soup" = no chicken, just tofu (I think) and Matt ordered a 1/2 grilled chicken (literally a full chicken, cooked, put through a slicer, bone & all, and then you get half)

STAYFREE(R)! Found my new "Sunshine" packaging here in Shanghai!


3 comments:

  1. OMG I cannot wait to see pics of your house! The boutique looks so cute, and I totally know what you mean about the expensive cheese in Western Supermarkets! I used to spend $12 for a block of cheddar, not even brie! Can't wait to read more about your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA for Cheese...and I see some Kraft products too!

    ReplyDelete