I’ve just returned from an experience that will be difficult
to put into words… the Chinese Health Check.
Every person who is seeking some type of resident permit in
China must complete a Health Check (and pass) before they are granted such
permit. (without which, I’m not totally sure what happens, but my guess is
nothing good.) Matt schedule my health check for this morning, so I woke up early
(no breakfast) and caught a 30min cab ride out to an area still in Shanghai
proper, but less skyscrapers, more 2 story homes, which were gorgeous. My cab
driver understood where I wanted to go via the Mandarin address I showed him on
my iPhone. Yes, that is how we currently get around: by showing our iPhones
with translations. (How did people communicate before? I have no idea).
Anyways, being that this was my first cab experience alone, I was a tad nervous
but by following our path on Google Maps (still the best) I could confirm we
were headed in the right direction. Now, I certainly didn’t speak a word of
Mandarin to this kind driver, but he spoke Mandarin to me the ENTIRE 30 minute
drive. At first, I felt bad because I could understand 0% of what he was
saying, but then I just settled in and listened like it was background noise
and occasionally nodded my head.
We arrived at the Health Check center. Good thing Matt gave
me the heads up beforehand because it is a complex with quite a few buildings,
but first one on the right is the health check. Walk inside and the lobby is
filled with people, predominantly foreigners. First step, walk to the reception
desk and check-in, show her your paperwork, for which she hands you paper work
back to complete and directs you to the waiting room. Easy. As I’m filling out
the paperwork, I realize the questions are not your typical physical details…
see check boxes of “Leprosy” and “Plague”. Anyways, after I’ve checked an emphatic
“No” to everything, my number is quickly called and I’m requested in another
room to double check my paperwork. I start thinking, “wow, this is quite a
system; very efficient.”
Then it gets interesting… so begin the exams… 1st
step: height / weight = easy. 2nd step: change in the locker room
into a robe. (Keep your pants & shoes on as learned too late by the guy in
the stall next to me.) and put all your belongings in a locker = fairly easy. 3rd step: enter the
hallway of exams… Room 1: blood pressure, heart rate, Room 2: Eye exam, Room 3:
Blood work, Room 4: EKG, Room 5: XRay, Room 6: UltraSound (what?!?!) … There
are about 8 exam rooms, about 1 dozen men and women zigzagging their way across
the different rooms as there is no apparent order of events. No doors. No
waiting outside. Just curtains, sometimes. There is also no time for coddling,
pleasantries or even explanations. This continues to be a well-oiled machine
where I imagine it’s most akin to what it feels like for a Toyota being sent
down the inspection line before being released for sale. (Not the best analogy
but what I got for now.)
Approximately, 12 minutes later (seriously, I’m not kidding
you this was fast), I’m all finished and just need to check out. I should get
the results by Friday.
Cross your fingers I pass! (I’m hopeful because I think I got quite
a few approving head nods during the whole process… not sure though)
No comments:
Post a Comment