Thursday, November 13, 2014

"Original" Herbstmesse: Petersplatz

I know I just posted about the Herbstmesse and its wonderful spirit, tradition, history, etc... However, after I wrote that, I learned I hadn't even been to the original spot! We finally made plans to head to Petersplatz, where it all began.

Here the festival was truly more magical. Set under the trees, this part of the festival is significantly less kitschy (don't get me wrong, I LOVE the carnival spirit), and feels somehow cozier. This area is lined up with stalls selling all sorts of different crafts (potentially handmade), food items (all the cheese you can eat!) with all the rides for younger in the center of it all. The focal point is the double decker Carousel in the middle. I thought we would be able to take EZ on and hold him on our laps, but apparently we are are bad parents? He's definitely too little. Too be fair I didn't quite realize how fast a carousel spins! It seems so harmless. :)




A staple of the Petersplatz site is the pottery market. Incredibly beautiful pieces, but like all Swiss items, too expensive for my blood.



Obviously, one of my favorite parts of the Petersplatz were all the cheese treats!!!

My 1st traditional Raclette (basically, melted cheese scraped off a huge block of cheese, served with potatoes and a little Paprika)





We also had some brats & these tasty fritters with applesauce (Dad, you would love the use of applesauce here. :) )


We also met up with friends, Maraika & Sebastian. (Maraika used to live in Shanghai we met through mutual friends.) Wonderful having a welcoming, familiar face here! Most importantly they introduce us to the "Chasbangel". A roll of bread with the middle carved out and filled with spiced, ooey gooey melted cheese ... I mean seriously people, this city was MADE for me!

This was a special treat. There were even instructions on how to eat it. Those went something like this 1. Get in line, 2. Order & Pay for your Chasbangel and white wine, 3. Hold the bread at a 35degree angle, 4. Take careful bites from the top only, 5. Watch out for the cheese... (I didn't listen to this appropriately as I got delicious cheese all over my purse... well worth it!)... 6. Come back & bring a friend with you!  [adapted from what I was told as I can't read Suisse-Deutsch]



Petersplatz is also the beginning of my obsession with European wooden toys...



4 comments:

  1. Your photos of the carousel make it look magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that was technically your second ever raclette - I think we hosted a raclette party when you visited me in France! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right! .. maybe this was my 1st raclette off the block. :P

      Delete