That being said, I've seen quite a few places in the 3 weeks we are here. Main issues are finding a place with the right space in the right area, that isn't a complete baby death trap. There are some real beauties on the market! Here is just a sampling.
Haus #1: Tiny Top of the Line
This listing isn't available anymore, so I can't find pics, but it was a brand new condo building where the owners were renting it out. Pretty much everything was automated. Automatic blinds, light sensors, auto floor heaters. It was quite nice, but a little small for our purposes. For example, I don't think a king bed would fit in any of the bedrooms.
Haus #2: Charming Baby Death Trap.
This place was a trick I tell ya! Look at that front door. How lovely.

You walk through the beautiful green door and into this even more adorable courtyard! Where we were greeted by the owner, a dear old man who reminded me of great-grandfather. He was so kind and kept talking about how wonderful it would be to have a little one in the apartment again.

He first showed us the cellar as he described that the building is from the 18th century. How endearing! The cellar was more like a castle dungeon that should be in a museum, but somehow had character and since EZ would never be going down there, and we'd just use it for storage, I was unphased.
Then we headed back to the main building which would be our apartment. We climbed up the 3 flights of stairs with EZ in my arms. Manageable, but daily?! The place was certainly charming.
Cute little European kitchen.

Upgraded bathrooms.
But, these stairs?!!!!! These were not stairs. This was more like a precarious baby death trap ladder.

This dangerous equipment leads up to the "2nd floor" aka. Munchkin Attic, where Matt or I would only be able to stand in the very center. Basically, useless space. This picture must be taken from below floor level, because there is no way the ceilings are as high as the appear.

Needless, to say, I don't think this is the place for us.
Haus #3: European City Perfection ... Except ...
When I was walking up to this gem, I was falling in love with every passing step. Here's a little snapshot of the walk up to this old apartment in the city center.
There it is!! It's absolutely beautiful from the outside and you walk into the courtyard and it continues to be quite old city perfection. Even stepping inside the incredibly cluttered apartment, I see great potential! The kitchen has most certainly updated as have the bathrooms and while the rooms are stuffed with the current renters belongings, I'm torn between thinking the space is incredibly small and that it must be larger than it seems if this couple can fit so much random stuff in here! We go upstairs and I'm sold. The downstairs living area is certainly small, but I could keep that as a dining area and make this upstairs room into a master bedroom / living room, like a studio apartment. (Can you tell I was falling in love?)
Current office -> future studio apartment (see floor plan options below)
When I got home, I received the floor plan with dimensions and I set to work on how I could make this work for us!
Option 1- can't actually open the door...
Option 2- Matt's layout. He tried to convince me this wouldn't feel too cramped...
Needless to say, this wasn't going to work out. It would've been a once in a lifetime, special & unique experience, but alas I think that time has come and gone for the 3 of us.
Haus #4: I want it!
Admittedly, I haven't been here yet and the # of rooms probably won't work, but that backyard!! And they already have my cow hide rug in the kitchen!
Haus #5: High Potential Modern
Well, after all that in trying to find a place not in the same neighborhood we currently live and looking for somewhere with some old charm... I'm feeling we may end up picking a place based on size. I haven't been here yet, but it's spacious, clean and upgraded. It's a block from our temporary apt and a block closer to Matt's office. That would make for approx. 5 min walking commute. (He's pretty excited)
Now I love a non- traditional floor plan as much as the next person, but these are some wacky angles? Why would you build a new apt like this? But it's so big!!
Will keep you posted!
















I love e-house hunting with you! Crossing my fingers for a place safe for EZ and tall enough for mommy and daddy!
ReplyDeletethanks! we need all the help! :P
DeleteI agree with Lesley. I must say I too am charmed by those lovely old apartments, but with three of you now I doubt that is going to happen.
ReplyDeleteThe street view of option 5 is well... I won't say. but "Not charming" is an understatement. The inside is a different story as it's positively palatial compared to the others.
Humm...where will you end up???
Agreed about the outside of #5... however, the building is a part of one of the city tours.
Delete"Modern architecture in St. Johann
Today's cityscape of Basel is littered with buildings designed by world-renowned architects, not only in the Old Town but in practically every quarter of the city. Join us and discover the new, inspiring architecture of the St. Johann quarter."
http://www.basel.com/en/search/citytours?f%5B0%5D=field_tax_tour_category%3A322#details_2513
Love this! I vote for #4 or #5! And I laughed out loud at your description of the "precarious baby death trap ladder". Can't wait to see what you pick! xoxo.
ReplyDeletewill keep you posted!!! :) no baby death trap ladders for us...
DeleteThis is so exciting! I really hope you find a great place. I agree with Shilu. #4 or #5 seem best :)
ReplyDeleteI love this post :) And that you're blogging again. Regarding house hunting as an expat, Ive found that it's amazing the concessions (particularly on space and "updated" bathrooms/kitchens) you make that you would never dream in the states. All part of the adventure - good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteI feel like I"m reading an episode of house hunters! Great great great! Can't wait for more updates! xx
ReplyDelete