This
Saturday it was 80 degrees and sunny in Shanghai. It was lovely. I forced Matt
to walk all over the area and we checked out a bunch of different places. Most
I had been to before, but Matt had not yet had the pleasure. We started all
over the French Concession grabbing brunch outside and then to another spot for
“kafei take away”, my Chinglish.
Midday we
had to go to Matt’s basketball game. He joined a fun intramural league with a
couple people he was introduced to by friends.
They had already made jerseys so he got the jersey of a guy who is
injured. Hence the “Greenberg” So funny to hear people address him that on the
court! Anyways, the game was in Putuo, a bit North of the areas we frequent, so
I decided to go with him and take a look around while he played around. In summary, I don’t need to go back to Putuo.
I can’t really describe why, but basically it doesn’t have much to offer that
I’m interested in. It does have a mecca of a home decorating market. It is 5
floors of dishwashers, cabinets, sinks, doors, lamps, furniture, etc. But all
of it was the same stuff we have the states, with a few exceptions, and our
apartment is already furnished. If we were building a new spot or are here for
years, then I’d consider coming back. NO English though.
Anyways,
after the game, we found the true gem of the afternoon. Yong Kang lane. We
headed to this area per the recommendation of Quan, who said this bar called
“Rooster” was a cool spot for a beer and BBQ sandwiches. Boy, were we in for a
treat! This was the perfect spot for a sunny, drinky afternoon. It’s less than
a block where rows of bars open their doors and shift the tables out onto the
street and sidewalk. Everyone is out, taking in the sun and catching up with
friends and strangers alike. For any New Yorkers out there, Matt & I both
agree that “the scene” is most reminiscent to the “Frying Pan” in NYC.
In addition,
the Rooster, specifically, was great! It’s definitely a hole in the wall spot.
Limited beer selection, but cheap and refreshing. Plus, the Dr Pepper BBQ &
slaw sandwiches (the only option available) really hit the spot! Seriously, I
keep thinking about those sandwiches. The final plus is that the owner, John,
is a fellow Wahoo! A super nice guy as well.
We will
absolutely be returning back to Yong Kang lane to test out some other spots,
but will certainly visit the Rooster again too. An added bonus, we shared this
little gem with some friends who’ve been in China longer, and when they hadn’t
heard of it, I felt like a true Shanghai expert. HA! :)
The home decorating market & their realistic window displays
"GREENBERG"
...just thought the shoes drying in the bushes was funny...
the unassuming Yong Kang lane
our sunny view from the sidewalk of The Rooster
Half-devoured Dr. Pepper BBQ sandwich
"Handle Bar" hehe...
That looks like a fun day "Mrs Greenberg".
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if those two manikins would entice me to go into that shop or scare me away. A little of both I suppose.
xo
That sandwich looks yummier than the last BBQ sandwich I had in the US! It looks deelllicious!
ReplyDelete