Every time I write a post, I'm generally optimistic and excited about all of the adventures Matt and I have ahead of us. Additionally, I'm incredibly grateful to be blessed enough to have these opportunities set forth for us by our families, friends and I'm realizing more and more, by the American government and the rights as a US citizen.
Each day here has been full of new sights, sounds, excitement, but there are some harsh realities of China that we, as expats, are predominantly sheltered from. This particular story doesn't affect me personally, but "hit close to home" per se.
Matt and I absolutely love our apartment. The location is amazing. The apartment itself is perfect size, clean, comfortable, etc. The only downside was the "eyesore" that is outside our back windows. We have amazing floor to ceiling windows that offer us a great view of the city skyline with the exception of, you have to overlook the abandoned field below. Well, at least we thought it was abandoned. Basically, these building in my opinion appear to be uninhabitable. There are no doors, no windows, the roofs are caving in, obviously no electricity and I couldn't imagine there was running water or any sewage systems.
However, one day when I was sitting on the sofa reading a book and leisurely looking out the window, I saw a woman walking through the middle. I thought to myself, "hmm, that's odd." Then I looked again and saw another woman hanging up clothing to dry. I thought to myself, "that can't possible be." Finally, I watched long enough to see said woman go back into the house and bring out more clothes to hang. "People LIVE there?!?!?!?!" was my new internal monologue. Since that point, I've been fascinated with understanding how and why these people live in this abandoned field.
I came across many "rumors", "theories" and general stories about what happened. Here is what feels like the best synthesis and accurate depiction of what happened to this block and the people who live and live there. I encourage you to read this.
Seizing homes, Seizing Lives
In summary, what happened to these people is devastating and it makes me feel awful that I'm part of the reason that these developers were grabbing up all the land and homes of the Chinese because of the rapid profit growth potential. Yet, at the same time this story is also a testament to their bravery and strength.
I personally find that living in China is a daily contradiction of ideals and actions.
- The rudeness of the pushing and crowds, but the necessity of it for survival to some.
- The "one child" government law, but what is the right solution to control such a overwhelming population growth where infrastructure is difficult to keep up?
- many more...
This doesn't by any means imply, I've stopped loving my experience here and I want to continue to take in everything that China and Shanghai has to offer. I just think it's helpful to open my eyes to understand the contrasts more and also makes me appreciate the benefits of the world I personally grew up in.
Ok sorry, that was a little bit more intense than usual, but I really felt like it was something worth sharing and explaining.
Our "view" / "neighbors"
Oh those kinds of experiences and realizations can be tough indeed. It's good to be aware that the have/have not discrepancies are there, and to appreciate your experience as you are doing. Also maybe some community service? Love you! xx
ReplyDeleteThat is just so terribly sad. Here the government can take your property for public use through the right of eminent domain, but you are to be compensated for the value. It is just unbelievable the tactics a private developer used to remove these poor people from their homes. I listened to the interview on your attached article and it sounds as if the government is trying to stop this for the time being. I can't image the resentment it would bring from the Chinese people towards expats if this continued
ReplyDeletexo
It is amazing how living abroad/traveling truly changes your perspective about your life and the privileges we take for granted having grown up in the US. I'm admitting to just now getting around to reading your blog posts and am loving them! Cheers to you!
ReplyDeletethanks! so far it's been an amazing experience!
Delete