Thursday, March 14, 2013
Bacon Water
The title of this post is absolutely a joke, but disgustingly so. I just couldn't help myself because you have to laugh about some of these things that yes, while disgusting on different levels, are also out of our control.
Grandmother wrote me yesterday, asking me about the pigs in the water. I realized this absolutely deserves a post, especially as it's all we've been talking about here for the past couple of days.
I don't know everything but there was another great article (and disgusting video) on abc. I think there have been many other articles as well (including the Wall Street Journal article Grandmother mentioned) but I haven't seen all of them.
first abc article
They claim that the bacon water became an issue because there has been a problem of illegally selling sick pigs to butchers which becomes a part of the pork food supply. This year the government started a strong crack down on the illegal pork issue, so the farms had to get rid of their stock and because they don't have enough acres to bury them, they dumped them in the river. It is way more than one farm and some of the pigs have been sick/dead for a long time. Basically, it seems like the options are: sick pigs in your food OR sick pigs in your water. I think I'd personally choose food since that can be more easily avoided.
The government has said it hasn't affected the water supply, but rest assured we don't drink the water here. (We get big jugs of Nestlé water delivered every week). But we do shower in it and brush our teeth and wash our dishes in it... Quite gross.
There are certainly some "hazards" to living in China. And we don't get the best news here so it will be interesting to see how this develops now that is an international issue.
Well, we are off to Hong Kong & Macau for the weekend so won't be posting again until Monday. I also bought a fancy new camera so will have some hopeful more talented photos to share!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting follow-up video on the role of & trustworthiness of the government.
ReplyDeletehttp://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/dead-pigs-in-china's-shanghai-river/5138be1902a7601f6b0000c1
I was wondering about the pig issue for you guys!! Does your shower water smell at all?? xxA
ReplyDeleteI didn't think it smelled, but then when I came back from Hong Kong, now I think it does... im hoping it's all in my head. :)
DeleteOh no! Bacon and Butter were my favorite things...I may have to rethink that.
ReplyDeletexo