Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sip'n'Paint: Take 1

I know they have these in many cities now, and I've been wanting to go for a long time, but couldn't find any suckers to go with me. Luckily, Julia & Camilla are always up for fun! We were off to "Sip'n'Paint" in celebration of Julia's bday. Little did I fully realize what I'd gotten myself in to. I knew these ladies were talented but man they can paint!

Sip'n'Paint Shanghai is a tiny little studio down a back alley, but the people are friendly and the instructor was pretty great. I think normally you all paint the same photo, but for this one, they asked us to bring our own pic and he'd help us bring whatever we want. I've never painted with oils before and was lucky for the instruction. I've had my eye on some lanterns recently so this was my inspiration. 

My inspiration: (a pic stolen from Getty Images)

Soon we were off to work!


The "semi-finished" products. Mine is 75% done? Julia's is 97% done (her inspiration is a stunning pic she took of a sunset in Maine.)  Camilla's is 100% done (not sure the pic does Camilla's justice. Blow it up and you can see it's a skull made out of butterflies. Awesome).

Not sure why they gave us these silly props ;)


 The close-ups


I'm bummed I didn't get a close up of Camilla's for you to see. We're headed back next week to finish & potentially start another. 

Stay tuned for Take 2! :)

2 comments:

  1. How fun. Lou Anne has been wanting to do this in DC. I do like you can pick your own inspiration as most classes I've seen have all the "students" painting the same scene.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of SipnPaint, but sure looks fun! All of the paintings are looking really good! And I agree, bringing your own picture would result in a more favored end product. Looking forward to seeing Take 2 :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete