They arrived! My mom & dad arrived in Shanghai yesterday evening and I'm so excited to have them here!!! Last night we just took it easy and went to one of our favorite neighborhood Thai restaurants (I know Thai is an obvious choice for your first meal in China.) Then the new arrivals wanted to try and stay up so the best way we knew how is to play some 500!
Sunday, after a delicious Mexican brunch at Maya (another typical Chinese restaurant), we made our first stop to the most important location, the South Bund fabric market. We put in our orders for some shirts for dad and variety of items for mom. Should pick them up next week! :)
Then we made our first touristy tourist stop at Yuyuan Gardens. It was PACKED; a TRUE Chinese experience. After some relaxation, we headed to the most amazing Shanghai skyline on the Bund to celebrate my mom's retirement!!!! She officially retired from American Airlines yesterday, and is starting her second career chapter with her sketches and painting. I'm beyond proud of her!!!!! She's the most amazing artist I know and her work speaks for itself. (Etsy shop here!) Happy Retirement (in China) Mom!!!!
The Best (& Worst) 500 Players in Shanghai
Dad, trying out our new Shanghai toy, the electric fly swatter. Too many laughs...
Brunch time!
and Nancy is in town TOO!!!! She was able to join us for the tasty brunch.
Yuyuan Gardens (touristy haven)
on the 7 turns bridge for good luck!
Mom's 1st trip on Wulumuqi Lu involved pics of all sorts of new foods. :)
back to our apartment
and off to dinner. Happy family reunited!
checking out the Bund
what gorgeous parents I have!!!!
welcome my Shanghai!
this is when I got us lost heading to place I've been to multiple times... whoops!
the Happy Retiree!!!
just one example of my mom's amazing work in her new career. Visit her shop!!!
Dinner at Mercato, another typical Italian restaurant in China. We're really pulling out all the stops to show them an authentic good time. :)
So far I think they like it, but of course it's alot to take in in a day. I'll get their thoughts shortly to share with everyone!

I still can't believe we are here. What a fantastic day we had yesterday. Topped off with dinner on the Bund at a very cool restaurant that rivals any in NYC.
ReplyDeleteI've found Shanghai to be Beautiful,Friendly(we had a 3 year old Chinese Girl hugging all of us on the Subway, and of course all the shop owners are our friends),Amazing,Diverse and a little Crazy all at once. There is so much to see I don't know where to look. I was so distracted taking photos of all the food in the stalls that I missed the baby with bottomless pants.
Bob and I are on our own today. I'm most worried about crossing the street without getting hit and taking the "good" taxis.
Nice selection of picture .. you are still in Shanghai I guess?
ReplyDelete