Taking a
little break from the tour group stories (don’t worry I’ll get back to that
shortly)…
We’ve acquired quite the arts
& “antique” collection while in Shanghai and on our travels. Some of these
are older purchases and some are our own creation!
Here are our two new pieces of artwork both
that we picked up in Hong Kong.
The first is
an oil painting of the streets of Hong Kong with the trolleys and people
strolling up the hills of HK.
The second is another oil painting of the water city near Shanghai. I’m going to say this is “Tongli” which was another stop on our tour. (More to come!) We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one! Expect this to be up in a prominent spot once in our home once we get back.
We also made a second trip to the Dongtai Antique Market (I actually wrote this before I made my 3rd, 4th & 5th trips with my parents :) )... I feel like we could continue to do some damage here (and I did. My name is Jacqueline and I'm a fake antique market addict).
This is Leonard. Matt’s new Dragon Turtle.
This is Leo & Zeng. Matt’s new Dragon Deer guarding our home. (I promise a post upcoming about the Dragons…)
This is my calligraphy brush stand that I’m using for necklaces. Funny story here: during my negotiations on price, the lady kept saying to me “oh, your price too cheap. This is OLD wood. REALLY REALLY OLD wood. Special OLD wood… worth more. Higher price.” I wasn’t buying that line of logic so we finally settled on a price, to which she responded “You look nice. But you not nice. You mean. Price too low… Oh, do you want the box?”
Yep, she then handed me the obviously brand new cardboard box that my said “antique” brush rack arrived in. Haha.
My “disk”.
We weren’t totally sure what to call this… Take a good look now as Kimberly
also bought one but it shattered into a million pieces on the trip home.
Sadness. This might not make it out of Shanghai. I’m surprised it’s not real
jade? Plus some more owls to add to the collection & to match the dragons...
Lastly, are
our own creations. First up is finally my finished lantern painting. I think it
turned out nicely compared to the original.
Then Camilla & I were supposed to head back to Sip ‘n Paint again on Thursday with another friend, but unfortunately she wasn’t feeling well. I gave Matt a skeptical call to see if he would join me, and I think in an attempt to earn brownie points, he agreed! We headed our first painting class together.
Here is his inspiration. (A painting by an artist that we actually fell in love with at a Hoboken Arts & Craft Festival). 

Here is my inspiration. (A painting by an artist I found on Pinterest. Haha!)
Here’s our finished work! I’m proud of us!!!
Our next visitors get to see everything up close & personal starting tomorrow!!!!! Lesley & Alex arrive this weekend! My apologies again for any delays in new posts, although I’ve “pre-written” a couple just in case. ;)

Who knew Matt was such Renaissance Man!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to have been a fly on the wall in that painting class.
Matt has a lot of unknown talent. He could be the 6th person in the world who can paint with his hands.
ReplyDeleteLast Anonymous comment from Bob/Dad...(and this one as well)
DeleteHaving issues getting the comments in correctly...
Hahaha! I was saying the same think about the unique artistic skill during our lesson. :)
DeleteI LOVE ALL the paintings above!!!
Delete