Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The "news" in China

I've been thinking for awhile about writing this post, but I wasn't fully educated enough on the subject to know what to say. Today, while I'm still not fully educated on the subject, I just couldn't resist and you'll see why when at the end of the post.

Obviously, "freedom of press" and "freedom of speech" do not exist in China. The government owns/operates/has a controlling interested in all the major news outlets. As such, the government often "shields" the public from the realities of life in China or “spins the truth” in a positive light to reflect achievements by society and the government alike. Knowing all this, I wondered how local Chinese both feel about the press/journalism, and if not cool with it, what do they do about it?

To sum up public opinion, everyone is skeptical. When a news story breaks and the government is quoted, I don't think anyone believes what they say. i.e. when the Shanghai government responded to the 6,000 dead pigs in the river saying that there was absolutely no affected on the drinking water... Not to mention that it seems to take quite awhile for newspapers to release a story about anything wrong. While in China, I don't have (nor do local Chinese) access to many outside news sources without my private VPN, which allows me to get around the government internet laws and actually get on facebook & this blog!

Where do people get their "news" you ask? The younger generations are getting all of their “real” news from blogs, not unlike the younger generation in the states. The most common one is Weibo, like Twitter in the US. This site is allowed by the government, however, is also censored. I read an article about how quickly posts can be shut down/removed and it's pretty impressive. However, news stories spread quickly and once it's read, even though you may not be able to find it again, you know about it. Additionally, there is another similarity to some news outlets in the states, in that I’m not quite sure all of these “blogs” should be considered “news,” but rather "opinion" and sensationalized opinion at that. Now, I am definitely someone who has become a bit cynical of American journalism and the need to sensationalize the "real news" to get public attention. (Anyone else watch the Newsroom on HBO?) I personally think as an educated person even watching the news in the US, you need to take it with a grain of salt, which I get the impression is how people here thing about both the official news & "social media news" like on Weibo. Regardless, I do still believe in these freedoms as awarded to us in the constitution and as people.

There are also quite a few sites that you can access if you have VPN access. i.e. chinahush.com , chinasmack.com (this one can have some pretty gruesome content), and my personal favorite Shanghaiist.com. Which brings me to the awesome stories as of today.

Here are just a few of the gems on Shanghiist.com. (I've also subscribed to their facebook updates. Big mistake if you want to feel comfortable living in China.) I will also admit I hesitated posting this, because some things are just outrageous and I still want everyone to come visit us!!!!! Luckily, mom, dad, Kimberly, Alex & Lesley already bought their tickets! No turning back now! ;)

gross.
Rat head in canteen food

this story, relfects my point above
China news satire of US backfires

Matt's favorite
Woman alive after public toilet explodes

The saddest story of them all:
Police destroy counterfeit wine

...seriously, all of these are from today. you can't make this stuff up...

3 comments:

  1. WHAT, Exploding Toilets. And I thought I only had to worry about squat toilets.

    Throwing out good...er counterfeit wine, now that's just a shame. Funny editor directs it to middle class women. Has he been watch in the "Real Housewives"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "watch in" is Mandarin for "watching" for those of you not in the know ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha those are amazing articles. Oh censorship, how you create funny situations without meaning to. In other news, glad to be on the list of official visitors!!!

    ReplyDelete