Friday, May 10, 2013

Bespoke Clothing

Give the people what they want!!!!

And so I will. Here is the update on my custom Chinese clothing. The real delay for this post is my compulsive shopping behavior. Every time I went to pick something up, I also had a new idea and dropped a new idea off! I kept wanting to post everything at once but I have since learned that's impossible, so here's what I have so far! (Please excuse my self-timed photos)

Just a fun jersey dress (250RMB ~ $40)

Some casual work or play jersey dresses (I also bought in purple. no inspiration pic) (250RMB ~ $40)

i also picked up this "Hermes" scarf that I love ($5)


the original pieces...

you may remember the Dolce & Gabbana dress I was after but in pink... 
 

here's where I learned that I am NOT a supermodel and do not fit into D&G dresses! this photo shoot prompted me to quickly head to the gym and then I think I will try it on again in a month or so. Also, I think it definitely looks better in a pattern... (350RMB ~$57)

now this is the Vince leather jacket. inspiration...

and I LOVE it! pictures don't do it justice, but it fits perfectly! (1,000RMB ~$160)
 scarf also purchased at fabric market for a whopping $3

Here's what I've learned. You need to be SUPER specific. If you want a zipper, a pocket, a seam, etc somewhere, you need to say so. Otherwise, it'll just be what's easiest for them. 

Also, I don't necessarily think this is the cheapest place to get just normal clothes. The other possibility is that I'm just not bargaining enough. The problem is I'm too tall for Chinese clothes and the US/European brands are SOOO expensive. Things that may go for $30 in the US (H&M, Zara, etc) go for at least $60 here. It's annoying. 

Basically, my purchases have been hit or miss but I think I'm getting better! Also, some things aren't perfect the first time, but they can adjust pretty quickly (a day or 2) once you try it on.

I'll continue to go back for more purchases! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love them all. That Jacket is gorgeous!

    P.S. do I see some of Matt's purchases in the background?

    xo

    ReplyDelete