I thought I
posted this on Sunday, but I just realized I didn’t!
Easter was a
beautiful day in Shanghai! It was a sunny day with clear blue skies and a great
day to rejoice.
We started
off with a champagne brunch at Sasha’s restaurant with some friends. This was a fun game:
balancing your desired champagne intake on this beautiful day in the sun, with
knowing you had to go to church in a couple hours. Brunch was delicious and
just being outside was peaceful and relaxing.
Easter is
not a holiday in China. While freedom of religion doesn’t exist in China, they
do have churches.
We made our
way to the Hengshan church (supposedly one of the largest near us). You cannot
worship with the locals, so the foreigner service is at 2pm (local service in
the morning) and you must bring your passport. (We didn’t get stopped as we
obviously don’t look Chinese).
The service
was predominantly contemporary Christian music (my personal preference is more
of the traditional variety). The highlights were this choral group who
performed as well as just looking around at the diversity of the worshippers.
All in all, a beautiful service, but we certainly missed our homes.
Then after
church we headed back to our brunch spot to soak the last few hours of sunshine
and warmth. :)
Of course,
on holidays, we also really missed our family so it was great to get to Skype
with my parents & the Zeller clan. Witnessing Kyle’s first Skype experience
was also a highlight of our Easter.
Brunch outside at Sasha's
Hengshan Rd Church
Kyle's First Skype
On the topic
of religion, I’m unfortunately not as educated as I would like to be… I’ve
tried to do some research on the topic but most sources seem to have an opinion
and are don’t provide an objective view on the topic. Oddly, enough I turned
back to Wikipedia for some info! (Yes, I’m embarrassed).
What I do
know is that during the Cultural Revolution there was a policy to “eliminate
religion” and many places of worship across different religions were destroyed
as young people were taught that religion, any religion, was “feudal
superstition”. This was effective in many ways as seen from the perspective
that majority of Chinese consider themselves atheist / agnostic. However, this
also led to many others, especially of the older generations to worship
underground, so it’s likely that the percentage of the population that would
align themselves with a religion is actually under-reported.
There are
still concerns about being persecuted for practicing religious beliefs as the
government is wary of any groups coming together en masse. However, I don’t
think it’s to the extreme as it once was… but honestly, I don’t really know. More to come if I learn anything new.
Does Kyle think you have to put your face actually on the computer/camera? ;)
ReplyDelete