Sunday, August 25, 2013

Shanghai Food Adventures

Yesterday was a day of food experimenting. You may have seen my instagram pic, but I tried stomach for the first time!

Let me explain... I passed a little Mandarin test, so my favorite teacher, Vivian & I headed out for a celebratory lunch. We went to her favorite hotpot spot near school. Did I go into this lunch knowing I'd be eating stomach? No. But when she suggested I try & offered to treat, I felt the need to be polite.

We started our meal with deliciously spicy broth, some traditional chinese medicine mushrooms that grow out of the bodies of insects, I didn't believe Vivian when she told me this, but then I found this: "CORDYCEPS MUSHROOMs is the fungus which attacks insects and then grows from their bodies" also known as “Chinese caterpillar mushroom”. Yep, that's what I ate! Those mushrooms seemed so harmless without the bug bodies attached & delicious! Sometimes it's better not to know...



Next up, the stomach! I was assured it was incredibly clean and this was one of the best spots to try it. After swallowing some significant trepidation, I popped this little guy in my mouth and started chewing. Yes, it was chewy but actually just absorbed the flavor of the tasty broth. I ate about 5 pieces total and was incredibly proud of myself. :)



Well, that was new!

Then for dinner we were joining in the Ramen craze and were headed to Ippudo, actually a global Ramen restaurant chain. We were told to expect an hour wait, but they moved everyone in & out super fast, with incredibly responsive service. Everyone recommended different items to try so of course we tried them all. :)

Lasagna Gyoza: Fried dumplings with Mariana & Cheesy topping (yes, I figured out a way to fit cheese even into this meal :) )

Eel Stone Pot: Eel on top of pork fried rice


2 types of Ramen:  Akamura & Karaka. I'd say the Akamura is traditional & delicious, but once you've had the Karaka, you can't go back. It's incredibly flavorful. Oh I just wanted to put the bowl to my face I couldn't get enough.



This was incredibly delicious & gave us a chance to practice our noodle slurping skills. 
How to Slurp Ramen from Young & Hungry
I think I'm a "seven-sided strike" & Matt's a "Godzilla"  What slurp style are you?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't perfected my slurping technique yet so I don't have a answer for that. I can tell you I won't be eating any of those other items!
    BTW what kind of stomach is that??
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually not completely sure what kind of stomach... I thought the waitress said cow, but it's definitely not tripe. I also tried to google but didn't kind anything that quite matched. I'll let you know if I find out! :)

    ReplyDelete