A couple points of note about volunteering in China:
1) Volunteering is a new (& growing) concept in China. Do I have a resource to back-up this statement? No. But I have asked around. I'd say my sample size is 13 and includes a mix of expats and locals. My understanding is that this "lack of volunteerism" in no ways reflects on people's desires to help others, but rather, on the lack of organized and well-communicated opportunities. Additionally, when a government runs on the premise of providing for all (I recognize that's a super loose interpretation of Communism) they aren't necessarily the first to publicize the need for volunteering. That being said, almost all the volunteers with us at the event were from China.
2) Not all organizations are created equal. This is certainly not to say that every organization doesn't have valuable intentions, but when it comes to actual execution, I've heard that experiences here are a mixed bag, especially for volunteers feeling as though they are actually helping during their time. This also doesn't mean there is a shortage of options! Therefore, BEAN Shanghai provides the perfect solution. BEAN is like a dating service for volunteering. You can test out different events with different organizations. If you enjoy them, you can volunteer directly with the org in the future or you can continue to join those events through BEAN. Additionally, it's great for working professionals as most events are on the weekend and require as much or as little time investment as you can spare. (also great for Shanghai tourists!) Lastly, BEAN is present in major cities all over the globe. While I've only tried Shanghai, I'd recommend taking a look at your local group as I was impressed!
We chose the event at the Shanghai Healing Home. This is an orphanage facility providing pre- & post- surgical care for babies and young kids with medical deformities, often cleft-palates. The facility provides physical and mental developmental therapies to help these kids overcome some of the growth adversities they will experience. They have a variety of specific programs that volunteers can participate in, but our visits was similar to a 101 experience. When we arrived, the full-time caregivers took the kids to be fed, while we cleaned & disinfected the play area. After the kids were done eating, we got to play and engage with them!
You may also know, that I have some ulterior motives for our move to China... I want an Asian baby (kinda kidding... but not really) I'm hoping that by bringing Matt along with me for these events, I'm thinking will help him to see the light. These babies are SO CUTE!!!!!!!! ALL of them. Seriously, every single baby here is the perfect mix of chubby & giggly deliciousness. Well, all babes are that way... :)
Here are just a couple pics. Be prepared for Cuteness Overload.
Here's my new best friend
they say like this for 20 minutes. So cute!
this best was turning around to see 6+ kids mesmerized by Matt's juggling skills. hehe!
...also the little guy standing in the orange... about 20min before we had to leave, he walked over to me, climbed in my lap, put his head on my shoulder and arms around my neck and fell asleep. When at departure time, these 2 little guys were snuggled up in my lap...
...they almost came home with us.
lastly, you may notice that we are constantly evolving over here at "Hunting Cheese". I've added some new design & functionality to the site. Please let me know what you think!
Plus, now we can be found simply at: www.huntingcheese.com Makes it even easier to share with friends! So please get sharing! :)


I WANT TO COME BACK AND VISIT JUST SO WE CAN GO THERE! Man oh man am I glad you guys did that and those kids were adorable!!
ReplyDeleteseriously! come back! i'm definitely going again. there's just so much love!!!!
DeleteNow, pick one, fall in love with him, have him call you Mama, THEN watch that China Girl documentary and try not to bawl your eyes out. IMPOSSIBLE!
DeleteThat was Alex also- different computer, different account name apparently.
DeleteAre you sure you couldn't just sneak out with one of those precious babies?
ReplyDeletedon't think i didn't try... want a little china grandbaby? :)
DeleteYes, Yes! ;)
Deleteso cute!
ReplyDeletelove those little guys!
Delete