Honestly, the weather in Basel the past couple weekends have been AMAZING. Sunny, 60s / 70s and Basel offers plenty of parks to play & run around outside. However, now we are gearing up for a rainy /snowy weekend. Luckily, there are MANY, MANY museums, about 40 within the city limits. Even toddler friendly -ish.
Option 1: Children's Toy Museum. Oh, how I wish Maw Maw was here as I think she would LOVE this museum. I've never seen so many intricate, animated doll houses and miniature scenes.
Checking out the bears in the cars going round and round
 |
| Fasnacht scene |
 |
| Museums Peek-a-Boo |
 |
| Lots of carnival themed displays |
Option 2:
Museum Tinguely. This was also a real treat that Evan found fascinating. Jean Tinguely is a famous sculptor from Basel. Supposedly, Tinguely's work "satirized the mindless overproduction of material goods in advanced industrial society," which to be perfectly honest makes for cool pieces. Basically, they all look like compilations of "junk" however, they come to life in some way. Some in a very loud way. Throughout the museum there are large step buttons that you can press to put each sculpture in action. The sculptures are best seen in motion so I found a couple links in the notes below.
A long summary including a couple examples of what we saw @2:51, @3:34, @1:50,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmrDEX4P5l8
 |
| You can see this one in action from the video I found on line here |
Someone became a pro at pressing the buttons.
We wrapped up our visit with our own art lesson
There's also an awesome Tinguely fountain in the center of the city.
Worth a look!
Come to Basel and check out the museums! Plus, come visit us. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment