Shanghai Mu Lan Hua Ge Jia Ju Li Curio, (easy to say right?) doesn't have a website, which after the pics you'll understand why, so I did some research and came across this write-up in Smart Shanghai:
If you’re looking to satisfy your sense of adventure, spend an afternoon in Outer-Pudongland, sifting and pouring through the wonderful mountain of crap and curiosity at this offbeat antiques and furnitures market... It involves a trek out to the wilds and it's almost impossible to find, but that's half the fun. Builds character. More a giant clearing warehouse than a market, really, Mu Lan contains 20-meters-high piles and piles of old trunks, chairs, tables, ladders, stools, musical instruments, taxidermied baby goats (that’s a hot item), old radios, televisions, buddha statues, and more. Miscellaneous, miscellaneous, miscellaneous... It’s a unique shopping experience -- oozing with authenticity, as they say -- not for the faint of heart or those afraid to get their hands dirty. Everything is covered in dust (and authenticity), it's cold, damp, dark, and would make a great setting for a horror film.
...After reading this, I rounded up my favorite partners in crime and we were excited for our adventure!!
The pictures we found online must be photo-shopped, as what we found was certainly more "authentic" I'll post pics in sequence so you can take in the full experience...
we stepped out of the subway, and this seemed somewhat commercial...
kinda commercial...
uhhh.... they said it was tricky to find...
partners in crime, always up for a fun adventure!
the first "warehouse" we came across... (note the tanker on the side?)
our first look inside!
i want this drum!!! totally a practical purchase
a little room wall-to-wall with chairs
warehouse #2
i can't believe we missed the official entrance
not quite what we were shopping for...
i'm still interested in one of these birdcages...
it only gets crazier from here...
biscuit tins
"antiques"
balancing acts
"hi, I'd like the trunk, 2nd from the bottom please"
Combined expressions are PERFECT!
need a chair?
in summary, we had an awesome time!!! this place was a tad overwhelming. there were definitely some goodies, but took some time to process everything and there's no way we saw everything! I didn't find a dining table, but this console table caught my eye. we decided next time we need to bring a local negotiator to get the best prices.
we'll be back!!!
bahahaha this is hilarious and awesome! You could get the drum and put a piece of glass on top- voila! coffee table! What a fun adventure!
ReplyDeletehaha, I thought the exact same thing!!!
DeleteThis looks like so much fun. I want to go there!
ReplyDeleteLet me know whenever you're up for the adventure! Happy to go back! :P
DeleteThat is just all kinds of crazy, but I sooo want to come back so I can go. Along with that drum I see some of those screens/doors you were looking at for a headboard along with all the chairs you'll ever need.
ReplyDeleteXO
oh, i know! this is where i wanted to take you but we didn't have enough time. so much treasure!
DeleteWow! That is a serious amount of "authentic" stuff. If I'm ever looking for chairs I'll know where to go! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!
ReplyDeleteit's a little overwhelming, no? need me to pick-up any baby presents from here for ya? :P
Delete