Thursday, March 10, 2016

Zeller Family in Grindelwald - #TBT

Can a blog post be a #TBT? (Throwback Thursday)? So. in writing the post about Zermatt, I realized I never posted about our 2015 ski trip with the Zellers! Here it is.. (at least what I remember)

MaZ & PaZ Zeller came to Switzerland!!  EZ was incredibly excited to get to see them.

While I'm not a big skier, the Zeller family are pros, so we had to take them out on the Swiss Alps! There are way too many options in deciding where to go, so we picked a spot that has great slopes in combination with some non-ski activities and a little town to walk around. The day after the Zellers arrived in Basel, we were off to Grindelwald!

Grindewald is an another adorable village in the "Jungfrau" region. (Also, known as the "Top of Europe" due to the highest train station in all of Europe) While the region doesn't have as much fame internationally, it is highly recommended by all the Swiss locals.

Daytime: Matt, MaZ & PaZ spent the day skiing while big man & I took some naps and then took the train up to the top to meet them for a little apres ski. 





  
  


Daddy's attempt to take a short cut back to the slopes



Nighttime: While I don't love skiing, I DO love sledding and I'd read all about the night sledding in Grindelwald, so I just knew Matt & I had to do it! It was an amazing idea and obviously, people always rave about it. However, Matt & I almost lost our lives on the sledding adventure...

Let me chronicle our mistakes for you:

#1. No Headlamp. I'd read online that most people take a headlamp, but when I asked the concierge at the hotel where we could get one she assured me we wouldn't need it. "Oh, you could buy one, but they're expensive and I've never needed one."

#2. Not speaking German. We bought our tickets and hopped on the bus to take us to the top. Along the way the driver was pointing things out and telling what we thought were stories in German. People laughed. We laughed along, not having any clue what we were laughing at... although the joke was on us, as part of the stories included instructions about a change in pick-up point...

#3. Getting 2 single sleds instead of 1, two-person sled. (Directly linked to mistake #4) Once we reached the top of the mountain, we hopped off the bus and followed all the "pros" to pick-up our sleds from the big barn. Without any type official directions we started following the people just dropping their sleds in the snow and headed off down the hills. We were off to a great start! Well, I was having a lovely time. Matt managed to fall off his sled 3 times in the period of 500meters, including before we made it half way down the first mini hill. (I can't explain it)

#4. Not holding on to your sled, Matt! As we were headed down the next big slope, I started down first and all of a sudden I hear my lovely husband behind me, screaming "whoa... whoa... whoa..." I turned around to see my partner sprawled out in the snow off the track, while his sled continued to fly down the mountain and into a ravine of trees below.

#5. Not accepting help. After Matt's tumble, he attempted twice to find his sled in vain. Surprise. Surprise. On his hike back up to meet me on the trail, a fellow sledder is coming along (admittedly quickly) and he screams out "Do you need any help?" Matt's prompt response: "No, we're good. thanks!" My reaction: Too STUNNED to speak. We are now 1km downhill into an 8km sledding run... with 2 adults and only 1 sled. "Yes, we need help!" Now, left with the options of walking back uphill 1km or attempting to make 1 sled work for downhill the remaining 7km, we decided downhill was the best option. I refused to let Matt back in charge so he hopped on back and assisted with braking while I managed the steering and not falling. :)

#6. Oh, the headlamp mistake... up until this point, we could still sort of see with the large spot lights at the top of the mountain and the 1-2 houses on the trail so far... but once we made the decision to keep going, the track turned into the trees, plunging us into darkness accompanied by switchback turns, threatening to throw us off the edge into until unknown darkness below. This is a picture with our iPhone with the flash on. (Luckily, this inspired Matt to turn on his iPhone flashlight so he could shine it ahead of us while I steered the sled.)

the path ahead, with the iPhone light on
#7. Not paying close enough attention to the map. At least not to the part that demonstrated that the sled slope was also the road for the bus. (See map. Our track was the red line, The Bus track is the parallel dotted line.) We became heart-stoppingly aware of this fact when all of a sudden we heard a sound as we were coming around a hairpin turn and saw headlights up ahead and Matt screamed "Bus!!!!!!" We both veered and jumped off the sled and into the ditch on the side of the road. We then waited for 3 buses to pass us heading up hill with the 2nd round of victims, I mean sledders.

This is me walking the sled after the bus encounter as I needed to build up my courage again.
#8. Passing the pick-up spot. Remember, mistake #2? Apparently, those funny stories the bus driver was telling, included the fact that the normal pick-up spot was closed (see map: Oberall) and that we needed to stop earlier (at Weidli). This was because there wasn't enough snow and we soon found ourselves sledding on a combination of ice and gravel. In positive news, we walked past the normal pick-up spot and there were loads of sleds for us to pick-up! :)

We were still approx. 2-3km away from the town. (We think?) But we trudged on thinking that surely the bus would pass us on the way back down. And luckily, this time we were right! We found another bus stop. Patiently waited for a bus to stop and were safely transported back to the hotel.

We survived! 
I would actually still recommend the night sledding! However, I'd STRONGLY encourage a head lamp and not letting go of your sled.

We did learn a valuable lesson here: We are parents now and can no longer afford to make poor & dangerous decisions. While we can still do exciting things, we need to be smarter. This is the example we always reference when we feel ourselves on the verge of making another potentially risky decision.

Happy Night Sledding All! ;)

1 comment: