In late January we decided we wanted to take a little road trip. Montreux was a definite on my list of places to see and in doing a little research I learned that there was a hot air balloon festival in Château-d'Oex, which was in between Montreux & Basel so that made it the perfect plan!
We hopped in the car (after remembering that traveling even for a weekend with a baby involves way too much stuff!) and headed to our 1st stop Lavaux, Vineyard Terraces. The Lavaux terraces are the vineyards up on the hills overlooking Lake Geneva. It's just a picturesque location. There is an extensive wine tasting walking trail throughout the different vineyards. Although since it was still winter, there were no grapes or harvesting occurring, so while beautiful I have to imagine it's even more magical in the spring, summer, fall. We will certainly be coming back!
Our plan was to reschedule our visit to Château de Chillon in the morning, but it wouldn't be open in time for us to still make the big show at the balloon festival. We decided to do a drive-by. I took a couple snapshots, and man is this a beautiful location. I know I keep saying that but everything is beautiful!!
After the castle, we were off for what turned out to be a bit of a treacherous drive through the Alps on the switchback highways, but we followed this adorable little yellow mini for 80% of the way. I think it really added to the Swiss Alps experience! hehehe. The drive itself was, again, beautiful.
As we were approaching the Balloon Festival Château-d'Oex, we thought, "we should probably start seeing balloons soon..." , "maybe once we get around this turn" , "oh maybe this turn" , "maybe they are starting late? that's very un-Swiss" Once we pulled into the town, parked near the balloon launching area, we asked an officer when the balloons were set to start. His response: "Oh, no balloons today! Wind!" Us: "WHAT?!? Hahaha"
| Balloons? |
| See! Balloon truck! |
| Empty Balloon Take-Off Field |
| Sledding Hill |
Regardless, this was the 1st time for monster to "play in the snow" I think he liked it / was intrigued.
We headed back to Basel & there were more adorable Swiss towns on the way! :) Dear Switzerland, stop it, with your cuteness!
Who's up for joining us on the Montreux + Lavaux Round 2! :)
I am!
ReplyDeleteWhat gorgeous vistas.
I just came across your blog via 'Expats in Shanghai Blogs'. I am moving to Shanghai in a couple of weeks and look forward to reading your posts of your experiences! Side note: I grew up in Basel and lived there until the age of 13. A nice little coincidence. :)
ReplyDelete