"The Time We Got Lost & Found a Castle."
This is why I am thoroughly enjoying living in Europe. Prior to the Christmas break, I wanted to check out the last day of the Christmas Market in Lörrach. Sadly, it was a little disappointing. Nothing compared to the Basel market. Only a handful of stalls.
Although this little treat was fun. Thought it was fries topped with pork & cheese. Nope! Cheese curds topped with sauerkraut. Still quite delicious.
On our way home from the market we got a little lost... As we were in Germany and my cell phone doesn't work and Matt's was acting up, we were starting to get a little frustrated as we couldn't seem to get back to the roads we knew.
And then I spotted it. Up on a huge hill, "overlooking the city". A castle! Well, if we were lost, we might as well check it out. In trying to navigate our way there without any directions, we definitely ended up on some roads we were certain would be dead ends, drove through some private property and hillside farms. Finally, we came up to the actual road leading up to the castle!
Burgruine Rötteln - this site is in German
Basically, the castle is believed to date back to the 11th century and is the 3rd largest castle ruin in all of Baden (the southwest German state).
We popped in for a little coffee & snack at the biergarten and some touring. While the weather wasn't great. It was warm by the fires and the skies made for some great panoramic photos.
I have a feeling we have quite a few more castles in our future...
Fun little unexpected excursion!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Images & Nice Post Dear….. I Like Your Post…..
ReplyDeleteTailor Made Turkey Tours